wordcatcher_logo 150.png
 
 

Attributions - Urban Development

Grangetown Street Map, p.4, Map data ©2017 Google

Example of earnings, p.5, www.MeasuringWorth.com

Satellite photo of Grangetown, p.11, Imagery ©2017 Google

Geological mapping of Cardiff basin, p.12, Contains British Geological Survey Materials ©NERC, base mapping provided by ESRI

Early Grangetown showing brick kilns, p.13, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

1799 John Yates map of Cardiff coastal area, p.14, Glamorgan Archives

1610 Map Cardiff town, p.15, Glamorgan Archives – Cardiff Records

1828 Map Cardiff town, p.15, Glamorgan Archives– Cardiff Records

Cardiff, View from the South, painted by Paul Sandby, p.16, ©Yale Center for British Art, Paul Mellon Collection, USA/Bridgeman Images

Grangetown street map c1868, p.17, Reproduced by permission of the National Library of Scotland

Remnants of Sturmi Castle, near Kenfig, Glamorgan, home of Roger de Sturmi (12th century), p.20, From the collections of the National Monuments Record of Wales: © Paul R Davis / O'r casgliadau o Gofnod Henebion Cenedlaethol Cymru : © Paul R Davis

Modern photo of Grange Farm, Stockland St, Grangetown, p.25, © R J Noyes

Early map of Cardiff’s West Moor showing the Grange Farm, p.28, Cardiff Records, 1898

Thomas Morgan’s Grange Farm, p.30, Photo created by Hobson Matthews, 1880

Llandaff Parish Tithe Map, p.31, Llandaff Parish Records, 1717-1937, Llandaff Cathedral records - Glamorgan Archives

Lady Harriet Windsor, later Baroness Windsor-Clive, p.36, National Portrait Gallery

Robert George Windsor-Clive, later the Earl of Plymouth, p.37, National Portrait Gallery

3rd Marquis of Bute, p.40, Mountstuart Archives - Photo Public Commons

Painting of coming-of-age celebrations of the 3rd Marquis passing through Cardiff High Street, 1863, p.41, The David Morgan Archive

Plan of proposed Penarth Iron and Steel Works, Grangetown, 1862, p.44, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

Street layout of Lower Grangetown with housing, c.1858, p.50, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

Poor girl carrying jug, p.51, The Bluecoat Press, Images from Scotland Road, Liverpool Slums

Poor mother nursing infant on doorstep, p.52, ©Alamy images

Poor child nursing child on pavement, p.52, Library of Victorian Photographs, ©1863

Aerial photo of Penarth Docks and Harbour, p.53, Historic Environment, Scotland ©RCAHMW

Penarth-Grangetown steam chain ferry, p.54, Dockmaster, Penarth Docks

Map of Grangetown including Penarth Harbour, p.55, With the permission of the National Library of Scotland

Subway joining Penarth Docks with Grangetown, p.56, Wales Online Library, The Hidden Tunnels of Cardiff

Construction of Penarth Harbour, p.57, Penarth Harbourmaster

Earliest map of first Grangetown streets and Penarth Harbour Rd, p.58, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

Map accompanying the first Parliamentary Act creating Grangetown, 1857, p.60, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

Map showing the sewage outfall on the Taff river, p.66, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

Map showing early streets and brick works, p.71, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

Map showing gas works and Clive Street, p.75, With the permission of the National Library of Scotland ©RCAHMW

Plan of proposed iron works, p.76, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate

Plan showing Cardiff Rope Works, p.81, With the permission of the National Library of Scotland ©RCAHMW

Aerial photo of Dixon’s Rope Works, the Gas Works and Grangetown, p.82, Historic Environment Scotland, ©RCAHMW

Drawing (1859) The Bricklayer, p.86, ©Alamy images

Navvy with wheelbarrow, p.88, Reproduced courtesy of Manchester Libraries and Archives

Navvies outside their shack, p.88, Permission of George P Landow, Professor of English and the History of Art Emeritus, Brown University, Rhode Island, New York

Bricklayer portrait, p.89, Photograph by William Carrick c.1860

Photos of two types of bricks in Grangetown and of Sevenoaks Street, p.90, © R J Noyes

Photo of rear lane wall, p.91, © R J Noyes

Plan of first phase construction of streets and housing plots, p.94, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

Plan showing proposed street layout of Bute streets, p.95, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

Map of Cardiff estuary and Penarth Harbour, p.95, With the permission of the National Library of Scotland ©RCAHMW

Plan of tram shed, Clive Street, p.97, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

Contemporary photo of tram shed, p.97, © R J Noyes

Ferry Road houses, p.98, © R J Noyes

Ferry Road houses, p.99, ©  R J Noyes

Clive Street housing, p.100, ©  R J Noyes

Holmesdale Street housing, p.101, © R J Noyes

Side elevation of bakery, p.101, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

House plans, Newport St, p.102, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

Photo of house in Newport St, p.103, © R J Noyes

Housing in Llanmaes St, p.104, © R J Noyes

Bromsgrove St including Clarke’s Pie Shop, p.105, © R J Noyes

Iron Room, p.105, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

Cambridge Street, p.106, © R J Noyes

Photo of Hamadryad isolation hospital ship, including its interior, p.121, Grangetown Local History Society

Map of Taff estuary (1860s), p.121, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

Drawing of house in Penhevad Street, p.130, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

Photograph of a house on Grange Gardens, p.130, © R J Noyes

Houses on Taff Embankment, p.131, © R J Noyes

Houses on Taff Embankment and Pentrebane Street, p.132, © R J Noyes

Housing on Corporation Road, p.133, © R J Noyes

Photo of a ‘coal hole’ in a front porch, p.134, © R J Noyes

Map of phase 2 of Grangetown, p.134, Map with the permission of the National Library of Scotland ©RCAHMW

Houses and shops Corporation Road, p.135, © R J Noyes

Cross-section of shop front, p.135, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

Contemporary photo of Paget Street, p.136, © R J Noyes

Early photo of Paget Street, p.136, Grangetown Local History Society

Bay window houses, Paget Street, p.137, © R J Noyes

Map of early Grangetown showing brick works, p.137, Map with the permission of the National Library of Scotland ©RCAHMW

Plans by the Bute family to construct on the north and east of the grange, p.139, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

Contemporary examples of stables, p.140, © R J Noyes

Drawing of commercial stables adjoining Penhevad St, p.141, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

Photographs of above stables and those behind Stockland St, p.141, © R J Noyes

Example of stables within housing, p.143, © R J Noyes

Contemporary view of the site of the Hollymans Bakery with commemorative plaque, p.143, © R J Noyes

Several contemporary examples of stables and cart shed, p.144, © R J Noyes

1799 Yates map of Cardiff basin, p.145, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

1840s map of Cardiff by Col Henry James, p.145, Cardiff Records

Map of the first streets of Grangetown and Penarth Harbour Road, p.146, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate

Map of 1860s Grangetown, p.146, With the permission of the National Library of Scotland ©RCAHMW

c.1858 map of Grangetown, p.147, With the permission of the National Library of Scotland ©RCAHMW

Circa 1915 map of Grangetown, p.148, With the permission of the National Library of Scotland ©RCAHMW

Various maps of the St Fagans estate, p.151, Glamorgan Archives

The ‘Iron Room’ school room and church 1861, p.152, Grangetown Local History Society

Contemporary view of Ebenezer chapel, Corporation Rd, p.154, © R J Noyes

Contemporary view of St Paul’s Church, Paget St, p.155, © R J Noyes

Drawing of the Grangetown Forward Movement Mission Hall, p.156, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

Contemporary view of Siloam Welsh Baptist Church (now Salvation Army), Corporation Road, p.157, © R J Noyes

Drawing of front elevation, p.157, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

Photograph and drawings of Clive St Baptist chapel, hall and Sunday school, p.158, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

Photographs of a Baptist Chapel Whitson Treat, p.159, Grangetown Local History Society

Entrance to St Patrick’s RC Church, Pentrebane St, p.160, © R J Noyes

Early housing plots and School plot on Clive St, p.161, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

Floor plan of National School, p.162, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

Photograph of Victorian School room, p.162, ©Alamy images

A child’s school slate, p.163, ©Alamy images

Photograph of a school room, p.163, ©Alamy images

Floor plans of expanded National School, Clive St, p.164, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

1884 view of Grangetown Board School, p.167, Grangetown Local History Society

Contemporary photograph of same view, p.167, © R J Noyes

Architect’s drawing of Grangetown Board School and associated cross sections, p.169, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

Contemporary view of Grangetown Board School showing extension, p.175, © R J Noyes

Grange Gardens bowling green, p.177, Grangetown Local History Society

Grange Gardens war memorial and listed bus stop, p.178, © R J Noyes

Contemporary view of library, p.185, © R J Noyes 

Floor plan of library, p.185, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

Elevation drawing of library from Redlaver St, p.186, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

Contemporary view of YMCA building (now a mosque), p.187, © R J Noyes

Cross-section of building, p.187, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

Ground and first floor plans of YMCA, p.188, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

Original photograph of the Plymouth Hotel, p.191, Grangetown Local History Society

Hotel floorplan, p.191, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

Blitz damage to housing on Ferry Road and Holmesdale St, p.191, Glamorgan Archives

Photograph of the Bird in Hand pub, p.193, Grangetown Local History Society

Sketches showing proposed expansion of Bird in Hand Pub and final appearance, p.194, Sketch Grangetown Local History Society

Sketches showing proposed expansion of Bird in Hand Pub and final appearance, p.194, Drawing Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate

Photograph of the Forge Inn, p.195, Grangetown Local History Society

Floor plan and siting of The Lord Windsor pub, p.196, Glamorgan Archives, Plymouth Estate records

Photographs of the Hotel de Marl open-air drinking club(s), p.197, The David Morgan Collection

Contemporary views of the Penarth Rd pumping station and pipework, 201, R J Noyes

Detailed map of the Hamadryad mooring, p.206, With the permission of the National Library of Scotland ©RCAHMW

Lamp lighter, p.207, Photograph ©Falkirk Library Archives

Image of Solomon Andrews’ horse-drawn bus, p.211, Cardiff Records

Image of early horse-drawn coach, p.212, Cardiff Records

Image of the Grangetown tram, p.213, Cardiff Records

Photograph of woman and children evicted from their house, p.214, The Evicted Matchbox Maker, Museum of London photographic collection

Paupers’ records, p.217, Glamorgan Archives, Cardiff Pauper records

Drawing of men working a workhouse grain grinding machine, p.218, ©Alamy images

Site plan of the Cardiff Workhouse, p.219, Glamorgan Archives

A restraint chair in a ‘mad house’, p.219, ©Alamy images

Photograph of 1958 kitchen, p.221, Nick Hedges, photographer

Photograph of 1962 house, p.221, ©Alamy images

Statue of John Batchelor, Cardiff, The Hayes, p.223, © R J Noyes

Sketch of Jack Black, the London rat catcher, p.225, Museum of London